Fires / Weekend News

Fire officials believe Friday night blaze was “accidental”

By Marion Ali, Staff Reporter

Fire officials say that the cause of Friday night’s fire at 225 Prince Street that left 10 persons homeless was “accidental”. A fire official who spoke to The Reporter on Saturday said that thr blaze was likely started by a child playing with a lighter on a bed.

The occupant of the two-story wooden house, Ian Mahler Sr., told this newspaper that he was asleep with his two youngest children, aged one and two, sometime after 8 p.m. on Friday when the smell of smoke woke him up.

Mahler said he tried to put out the blaze but in the process, had to move his children and realised that the fire had grown out of control.

The father of four said that his family lost all their velongings and are staying with relatives.

The lower flat of the house was not burnt but suffered water damage. They too are staying with relatives.

The owner of the house, we were told, lives in the United States.

Comments are closed.