Police wins first Premier League final

IMG_3735 andres makin police 1st goalThree times bridesmaids, the Police United set themselves on the good footing to win their first national championship when they triumphed 1-0 over FC Belize in the first game of the championship finals of 2013 Premier League of Belize football tournament at the MCC grounds on Sunday, May 19.

Danny Jimenez and Lennox “Criminal” Castillo led the Police offensive, supported by Andres Makin Jr. and Amin “Tacos” August on the wings and Orlando “Lichy” Jimenez and Trevor “Burger” Lennon at midfield. Castillo, Jimenz and Lennon all had the height to threaten an aerial attack when the Polcie won a corner kick in the fist minute of play, but none could puta finish on the cross to center from Andres Makin. FC Belize’s George Estrada, Leon “Chow” Cadle, Luis Arriola and Matthew Leal’s tenacious defence held the law enforcers at bay for a scoreless draw at intermission.

IMG_3743 andresMakin Cops winninGoalAvian “Chi-chis Crawford, author of FC’s winning goal the week before, and Steven Baizar led the FC Belize attacks supported by Michale Hernandez and Ryan Gill on the wings and Mark “Kelo” Leslie and Norman “Bat” Pipersburgh at midfield. They soon won a corner kick, but failed to convert against the Police defenders Glen Martinez, Kishane Pech, Armando Dubon and Devon Makin.

Castillo forced FC Belize goalkeeper Glenford Chimilio to come out of his goal in the second half, when he advanced up the right flank, but Leal and Estrada were there to clear away the threat when Castillo shunted the ball past Chimilio.

Andres Makin recovered the ball almost that halfway line, but seeing Chimilio off his goal-line, gambled on along lob at goal. Chimilio could not get back in his goal as the ball sailed over his head, under the crossbar and into the net.

Some 20 minutes of action still remained when Crawford advanced the ball to pipersburgh who blasted it past the Police goalkeeper for the equalizer, but the lineman flagged Pierpsbugh for being offside.

Pipersburgh compounded Fc Belize’s woes when he protested the call first to the linesman and then to the central referee. His ill-chosen word resulted in him being ejected from the ball game with a red card, and physical trainer Delon Jones and assistant coach Anthony “Willie Beau” Bernard were soon to follow.

The Police exploited their numerical advantage to pepper the Fc Belize goal forcing Chimilio to come up with a number of heroic saves to keep the score to 1-0 until the final whistle.

The second final is scheduled for the FIFA Goal Project Stadium in Belmopan on Saturday night may 25.

Comments are closed.