FC Belize draws 2-2 with San Ignacio United in Belikin football

By William Ysaguirre
Freelance Reporter

FC Belize salvaged a 2-2 draw out of the jaws of defeat in their eighth outing in the Belikin Cup closing season competition, organized by the Premiere league of Belize at the Norman Broaster Stadium in San Ignacio last Sunday.
Rudolph Moody created some early excitement for the home fans when he got an open shot at goal from the edge of the 18-yard box, but Moody’s shot drained wide just inches outside the right upright.
It was an error that would cost San Ignacio dearly as the first game was almost over when Jarret Davis got away on a solo fast break for the San Ignacio goal. The goalkeeper came out to meet Davis’ challenge and indeed deflected away the ball on the first try, but he failed to hold on to the ball.
Defender Brandon Jones was unable to intercept it before Davis recovered the loose ball and booted it into the empty net.
FC Belize had little time to celebrate their lead, as Tony Gonzalez soon drilled a low grass burner to the left corner of the net for a 1-1 draw at intermission.
Carlos Vasquez and Victor Morales led the home eleven’s furious assault in the second half, supported by Moody, Gonzalez, Byron Jones and Trimayne Gentle.
Gonzalez scored his second goal, having received the ball on the edge of the goal area with his back to the goal, then pivoting on one foot and blasting it into the net.
Rowley was caught flat-footed and the Cayo eleven took a 2-1 lead 16 minutes into the second half.
FC Belize Technical Director Jorge Nunez refreshed his offensive lineup as Michael “Chenko” Whittaker, Marlon Gutierrez and Dimitri Fabro relieved forwards Michael “Suit’ Hernandez, Jorge Aleman and Stephen Baizer, as they sought to regain the initiative.
Edwani Munoz also reinforced San Ignacio’s attack replacing Morales and Leroy Simons took over from Brandon Jones. The home eleven had virtually secured the 2-1 victory, until sweeper Felix Miranda blundered into a hand ball infraction, instead of allowing the ball to go off the goal line, which would have meant a corner kick. Instead, the referee ruled penalty and Jarret Davis made no mistake as he converted to equalize 2-2. Carlos Vasquez almost made it 3-3 late in the game when he connected with a header to a pass into the goal area, but his header went just wide of the left upright.
Verdes of Benque Viejo had celebrated a 2-1 victory over the defending champions, the Belmopan Bandits, at “La Cancha” the Marshalleck Stadium on Saturday night. The green machine held the Bandits to a scoreless draw up to intermission, but Nahjib Guerra scored first for Verdes in the second half. Elroy Kuylen equalized or the Bandits, but Roy Cano scored a second goal to seal the 2-1 win.

Comments are closed.