General / Health / Weekend News

KHMH CEO says he will not defend wrong in negligence

By Benjamin Flowers, Staff Reporter

The Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital Authority is scheduled to meet with Lucia Martinez on Monday following allegations of the hospital leaving cotton swabs insider her body after delivering a baby.

Chief Executive Officer of the hospital, Dr. Adrian Coye, said this week that he has received the final report on the hospital’s investigation, and is holding the meeting to discuss the findings with Martinez and give her the opportunity to vent all her concerns.

“The question of a retained swab is a very serious incident, and we won’t take this matter lightly,” Coye said, “if we’re liable, we’re liable and I will not defend things that are wrong.”

He added that after assessing how the incident may have taken place, corrective measures have been put in place to safeguard against future incidents. However, he would have preferred if Martinez had brought her complaint to the KHMH before going to the media.

Martinez reported last week that she became very ill after delivering her baby at the KHMH on December 13, 2014 and continued to detect a strange odor coming from her body.

Her husband would later remove cotton swabs which were left inside her. She has been legally advised to refrain from commenting further until the matter is resolved.

Comments are closed.