General / Weekend News

Fire guts Turtle Inn Resort in Placencia

By Michelle Sutherland, Staff Reporter

A fire which tore through the Turtle Inn Resort in Placencia on Thursday evening was contained by fire personnel and volunteers, but not before it completely wiped out the establishment’s office, winery, and kitchen area.

Initial findings by police suggest that at 2:30 p.m., five cooks employed at the resort were on duty inside the kitchen when they smelled smoke. Upon making checks, they observed a small area, where the metal chimney exits through the thatched roof, engulfed in flames.

The cooks said that despite their attempts to extinguish the blaze, it spread rapidly across the remainder of the 90′ by 20′ structure in a matter of seconds.

Police say that upon their arrival at the scene around 2:45 p.m., they observed fire personnel and resort employees working together to contain the blaze.

At about 3:30 p.m., more volunteers arrived to offer their assistance, and the fire was extinguished some two hours later.

The value of the building and its contents, which were completely destroyed, remains unknown, everything was insured.

Police say that the matter remains under investigation.

The family owned-and-operated resort was the property of famed Godfather Director, Francis Ford Coppolla.

Comments are closed.