New trial for man charged with 2009 murder! Acquittal for his co-defendant, Cordel Flores

By Anita Nembhard
Free Lance Reporter

One of the longest murder trials on record, carried over from the October 2014 session, ended Thursday night in the Supreme Court with a hung jury in the case of one accused person and acquittal for the other.
Cordel Flores, charged with the murder of Albert Allen more than five years ago, was acquitted. Warren Lewis, the other accused man, will have a new trial.

Allen was shot in the back on August 18, 2009 on an obscure side road off the George Price Highway. When police found Allen’s body he had a stout stick rammed into his mouth, and his throat had been slit.
The police produced a “confession” statement obtained from Warren Lewis which Lewis later claimed had been obtained by use of force. For six weeks Lewis’defence attorney, Oscar Selgado argued that this statement should not be admitted into evidence.

In the end, Justice Troadio Gonzalez ruled that the statement should be admitted.

The jury, comprised of nine women and three men, finally got to go home after sitting intermittently since November 2, 2014.
Cordel Flores was acquitted because the only thing to tie him to the murder was the fact that bloodstains found on his clothes was Type A, the same type as the victim’s.

Bloodstains found on Lewis’ clothes could not be linked to the victim.
Police also found a .38 calibre pistol believed to be the murder weapon, but there was no forensic evidence to tie the gun to the victim.
In an unsworn statement from the dock, Lewis told the story of an unknown gunman who he found waiting for him in his car. The gunman forced him to drive to Faber’s Road, where they picked up two other men and what appeared to be a dead person, wrapped in a piece of blue canvass.

The gunman forced him to drive on a dirt road off the George Price Highway, Lewis continued, where he dumped the body. He said the gunman commanded him to drive them to a place on Faber’s Road where the three men got out of his car and left him on his own.

Flores, represented by Counsel Alifa Elrington Hyde, also gave a statement from the dock, saying simply that he was not present at the time of the murder.

Comments are closed.