The sudden death, lack of an autopsy and relatively quick burial of a 17-year-old Mayan girl of Golden Stream Village, Toledo, caused many to question the girl’s cause of death, but the Ministry of Health said Thursday that there was no signs of foul play and no need for a post mortem.
Milca Sho, who was reportedly mentally challenged, died on Sunday, February 17.
According to the release, the health professionals reviewed the Belize Health Information System (BHIS), which confirmed that Sho suffered from a chronic disease that eventually led to her death.
“On February 17th, 2013, the patient was brought into the hospital by her father … [who] reported that two days before she had ingested a very large amount of soap powder detergent.”
The release added, “Along with the clinical data retrieved from the BHIS and the history provided by the father, the medical officers felt confident to issue a death certificate. So no autopsy was needed.”
The release also sought to counter the rumour that the girl had suffered abuse of various forms in the home setting.
“Two medical officers examined the body and found no sign of external injuries.”
A check into the teenager’s medical past, dating back to March 19, 2012, showed that she was first medicated for a chronic disorder for voluntarily consuming large amounts of bath soap.
Days later Sho had to be hospitalized at the Punta Gorda Town Hospital where she had to undergo a blood transfusion.
Milca Sho was laid to rest on Tuesday in Golden Stream Village, Toledo.