Guatemalan boys shot in Belize near Guatemalan border; One still missing

By Alexis R. Milan
Staff Reporter

A trio of Guatemalan teenagers who entered Belize illegally at Clarissa Falls near the border in Cayo last Sunday were shot at by an unknown aassailant. One was wounded, while another is possibly dead. A third teenager who fled during the shooting, has returned to his home in Melchor de Mencos.
Police Superintendent Daniel Arzu, Officer Commanding the Benque Police Formations, disclosed that they were three Guatemalan boys from Melchor de Mencos, aged 15, 16 and 17 respectively, who crossed into Belizean territory illegally to fish in the river.

Based on the information the police received from the 17-year-old youth who has been hospitalized at the San Ignacio Community Hospital, police believe that the boys were trailed by another Guatemalan who shot at them, wounding two.
The 17 year old youth was shot in the right thigh, but is not in any grave danger.

Superintendent Arzu noted that it seems to be a common practice for Guatemalan nationals to cross over to fish in the river near Clarissa Falls.

The boy who was shot in the thigh did not see his attacker, but he strongly suspects that someone followed him across the border and shot him.

The second youth, who was shot in the neck has disappeared and Benque Police can find no trace of him.

The third boy who ran off when he heard the shots has since returned to Melchor de Mencos, but Belize police have been in communication with him for assistance in their investigation.
The whereabouts of the second boy, who was shot in the neck, remains unknown. Police have been unable to locate this person, Arzu said.

The 17 year-old boy who was hospitalized has been cooperating with the police investigation and is under police guard at the hospital. Arzu said the police have briefed officials of the Immigration Department but were told that since the incident involved minors,eferred to the Guatemalan Embassy in Belize.

Comments are closed.