Half a million dollars went up in flames, as a fire burned a great portion of the Exotic Caye Resort in San Pedro Town.
The 20-year-old resort, located on Coconut Drive, caught fire around 2:00 a.m.
According to the business owner, he received a call at 3:30 in the morning from an employee who lived across the street, stating the building beside the resort was on fire.
But when he arrived at the scene, the fire department was present, battling flames which blazed 15 to 20 feet in the air. The fire department and police department, along with the help of several volunteers, were able to bring the fire under control and put it out.
The owner mentioned that he was thankful that one patrolman was smart enough to realize that the restaurant had a propane tank on the side of the building and moved it across the street.
Another eyewitness believes that the fire began in the laundry room. He mentioned that the resort’s security guards were trying to contain the small fire in the laundry room with a hose. But they were unable to control the blaze, and it spread quickly unto the thatch roof and neighboring buildings.
Quick work by security personnel, managed to inform the guests of the fire and evacuate them to safety.