Carnival weekend ends in string of shootings

By Alexis R. Milan
Staff Reporter

The Carnival weekend ended in a string of shooting incidents, which saw five gunshot victims, three of which have been admitted to the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital (KHMH), and several suspects being detained in connection with the incidents.

According to Eastern Division South Commander, Senior Superintendent Chester Williams, the first incident happened on Saturday night around 9:40 p.m. on Curassow Street where 31-year-old Joseph Debride was shot to the neck. He was standing in front of his home with his girlfriend, who happens to be an officer, when a man who they knew approached them and announced he had a gun.
A struggle for the weapon then ensued but the man was able to get away with the gun and fired several shots at the couple before escaping. Debride, who was shot to the neck, was rushed to the KHMH and remains in stable condition. Police have detained one suspect in connection with this shooting, Williams said. That person will be charged with attempted murder.

The second incident happened around 11:30 p.m. that night on Antelope Street where 21-year-old Andrea Buller and 25-year-old Kendal Sanchez were shot. According to Williams, the two were involved in an altercation at the BTL Park after the carnival and as a result they were followed and shot at.

Buller and Sanchez heard shots ring out outside their house and then realized they were shot. Buller was shot to the abdomen and Sanchez to the left arm and right thigh. Williams said police have an idea of who the suspects may be but no-one has been taken into police custody yet.

The final incident happened later that night on the corner of Pickstock Street and Barrack Road where 19-year-old Gary Young was walking with a minor, when they were approached by three men and got into a verbal altercation.

As they were walking away one of the men pulled out a gun and fired several shots at them. Young was shot to the wrist and the minor was shot to the left buttock. Both have been admitted to the KHMH in a stable condition. Police investigations in this incident are ongoing.

Comments are closed.