2nd trial without jury ends in acquittal! Crown’s witness couldn’t remember

Oscar Kareem Usher, 25, charged with attempted murder for the shooting of Kenrick Longsworth, 19, on October 14, 2009, walked out of Supreme Court of Justice Herbert Lord a free man.

It was the second trial without a jury, but lasted a scant five minutes: from 10:45 a.m. to 10:50 a.m.

The prosecutor, Senior Crown Counsel, Cecil Ramirez had to abort his case because the prosecution’s primary witness could not remember what happened the night he was shot.

“I can’t recall anything,” was Longsworth’s reply when the prosecution asked him to tell the court what happened to him.

Longsworth also denied giving the police the statement on October 14, 2009.

When Ramirez asked him if he wanted to testify against Usher, Longsworth  declined.

At this point, Ramirez told the court that he had no further evidence to provide the court in this matter.

Justice Lord then informed the accused that since there is no evidence before him  he must find the defendant not guilty of the crime of attempted murder.

On October 14, 2009, the day after he was shot, Longsworth, who was then 17 years old, gave a statement that at about 9:30 p.m., he left his home and walked to the corner of Victoria Street and Lovely Lane.

Usher reported that while he was standing at the corner, he heard shots being fired at him and felt a burning sensation in his right and left pelvis area.

When he turned around, he saw Oscar Usher, standing behind him.

While he could not clearly see what kind of gun was in his hand, he said he saw smoke coming from the barrel of the gun.

He saw Usher, on a bicycle, coming towards him from the direction of Freetown and Victoria Street.

Longsworth said in his statement that he ran about 50 feet and sank to the street in pain.

Longsworth’s uncle  Wilhelm Audinett,  came to his aid and  rushed him to the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital in a taxi.

Police intercepted Audinett and his nephew at the corner of New Road and Pitt’s Alley and accompanied him to the  K.H.M.H.

Longsworth was shot three times: twice in his pelvic area and once in the belly. The doctors of the K.H.M.H. worked wonders to save his life.

Comments are closed.